Sunday, January 15, 2006

WHILE YOU'RE SHOPPING

Your real estate agent has spent time with you to determine where you would like to live, the size of the house you would like to live in, and if you can afford it!
As you begin to visit homes that fit your criterias, you can also do some "home inspecting " yourselves. Again: The more you know, the smoother it goes!
We will start from the top of the house and work down, covering some basic items that can be very costly. When I bought my first house, the cost of the home inspection cut into my down payment money. A new roof would have been out of the question! Even a second inspection would have cut it close.
I'm not trying to make you a home inspector through this site (I still need a job!) but hopefully this can help you ask more and better questions before you need me.
This brings me to a very important question: How do you find a good home inspector? And what makes a good inspection?
Talk to friends and family and find out if they have had a good experience with an inspector.
Take some names from you real estate agent.
Check the state department of licencing for inspectors in your area.
Call them!
My approach has always been to stay at the house until all of your questions are answered. We will look at every visible system and I will explain what I'm looking for and why. Everything that gets printed in the report will be discussed at the inspection (no surprises when the report arrives). And we can also have a good time! You can bring any family member that knows something about houses (or not) because I believe the more eyes the better. If my approach doesn't appeal to you, there are many other inspectors out there and I know one will have a style that suits you.